Lioness Back & Rhino Rock Formation

A few days ago, I was able to tick off another one on my bucket list: rock scrambling! Well, technically, I was aiming for a rock climbing activity but I say to-may-to, you say to-mah-to, they are practically the same ;) Although of course many would disagree I guess.

Still, it was one hell of an adventure!


Rock scrambling is considered to be under climbing class 4, which falls next to steep hiking (class 3) and before vertical climbing (class 5). So little is known about this rock scrambling activity, as well as the Lioness and the Rhino Rock Formation, so when I was invited to join this, I agreed.


The Lioness Back and Rhino Rock Formation is located in the town of Bigte, Norzagaray, Bulacan. Going there from Manila wasn't difficult. We embarked on one bus ride, a jeepney ride, and a tricycle ride to get to the starting point. 

When we got to the jump-off for the Lioness, no trail was in sight. We instantly had to start 'scrambling' among the rocks, one thing I never did before. 
The pre-noon sun felt so hot, we cannot find any shade to cover us because everywhere, there are only rocks. It took us 30 minutes to reach the peak of the Lioness.


And that's my feet saying 'Hi' to nature! lol :D


I feel blessed to witness another sight like this. This is how magnificent God's work is.



'Hello there Lioness'



On top of the Lioness. Nice shot by Chad







After our Lioness adventure, we headed to the Rhino Rock Formation, which they said is more challenging to climb.






The view of Norzagaray, Bulacan before our eyes.




See how challenging it looks? 




If one day you decided to rock scramble here, it's highly advised that you wear your gloves.
Ako wala eh, magaling ako eh, kaya puro gasgas inabot ng kamay ko.



But of course it's all worth it!



After all the exhaustion of rock scrambling, we indulged ourselves in a less challenging side trip to the Pinagrealan Cave



This cave tells more than history. It is characterized by smooth stalagmites and pointy stalactites beautifully formed by time and the elements. We did a little caving and we lingered inside for a refreshing dip in the cold waters of the cave. 

 
Spelunking Pinagrealan Cave would be a great start for a just-outside-the-metro adventure and historical tour.




It was definitely a day well spent. Two thumbs up for everyone! We rocked!



I hope one day I can do rock climbing. :) I ended up having few bruises and scratches but despite that, we ended up lighthearted and happy. My first rock scrambling was a great experience. One that I would surely be repeating soon. Challenging, true. But rewarding nonetheless. Making friends, the sense of accomplishment and the opportunity to appreciate nature. PRICELESS.


"The best climber is the one having the most fun" Alex Lowe

1 comments: